Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Edition # 9-My Friend-By Kiran Rane (TE EXTC)

Exams were finally over and the vacations had just begun, and so had the rains. Cozying up in my favorite spot in the balcony I was enjoying my coffee feeling every bit like the models in one of their ads, the only difference was that the background views weren’t as beautiful, there were flies all over. I could see the sewer overflowing on the road, and someone shouting and quarreling with the society manager because his walls had leakage problems again this season. So I was looking just about everywhere trying to spot something more interesting and it was then that I spotted the love of my life-not 1 but 3 pups huddled together on the footpath. I rushed outside and approached them cautiously, fearing that their mom would spring out of nowhere and chase me away. It was then that someone told me that their mum hadn’t been seen for 3 days. I could see it their eyes that they were hungry-both for food and love.
And so began our friendship, just like every other friendship begins-a little apprehensive at first, but as time passed, they had no fear of me and would wait for me to come down every evening, and if I didn’t go someday, the next day I could see the look of “why didn’t you come ?!We missed you.” Puppy eyes I tell you! They didn’t wait just for the food but also for the company. They never complained when I had no food for them. All they wanted was a pat on their head and some silly pampering. Their mother never returned. Sadly one died in an accident while I was away, and one simply vanished. So now it was just the two of us. Shortly a dog loving family from my society who had another dog adopted the pup.
It’s been 2 years now. She’s a well behaved and well groomed dog, walking straight up like the other pedigreed dogs, but whenever she sees me she leaps up to me and licks me all over. And though no words are ever spoken between us, we communicate with eyes and the joy I feel with this furry friend of mine is beyond words.

No comments: