Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Edition # 9-Leaving College Behind-By Nikhil Nair(EX BE)

It’s not been very long since I left college, in fact I have not even left college fully yet! Despite that, when I was asked to write on how it feels to have left college, I agreed instantly and pondered later. All of two nights I spent scratching my head, searching for the right words to express what I was feeling. No sooner did I begin to pen down feeling good about leaving, I had a fresh wave of dismay at leaving and vice versa. As with everything in life, leaving college too had its fair share of pluses and minuses.
On the one hand, finishing college meant taking control of the rudder, and steering in new directions in terms of a job or a new college environment, new friends and new experiences, while on the other, it meant leaving behind the carefree “college days”, company of fond friends and comfort zones.
After the final paper was handed in at the final exam a friend turned to the student behind him and said “That’s how it’s done!” This remark marked the curtain call on our life in SIES GST. It brought on a sudden loss of direction. What had become our habit of returning to college after a month-long vacation was now replaced by a void. This feeling, a lot of my batch mates echoed as “abhi kya?” However before this void could become crippling, thoughts of future plans -be it joining the Company that recruited us, or applying/flying abroad for further education- mitigated that sense of loss.
Just as Nature demands adapting, I too am now settled in to this uninspiring lifestyle, listlessly moving from day to day. Right now the wait is for the results, after that a wait for the Company to call and then a wait for something else until a routine is established. It is only the wait that is killing, the moment something to do comes up, all that will change.
No matter what I end up moving on to, I can be certain of one thing; it’ll never be like life in SIES GST.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

true!